Writeups by EJ Hrynowski
Week Ending March 3 - Paul Kelly
![]() |
| Paul Kelly in Rhody 5K |
I’m really happy with my run at Stu’s, and the nominations I received for this week’s AOW (especially in light of the sources, I’m really humbled). But when it came down to the recipient for the week ending March 3rd, the committee cast a cold and calculating eye on the results and has chosen a most worthy recipient.
Some Chickens like to fly low under the radar, operating in stealth mode so as to avoid detection. That was the case for this Athlete of the Week until he unleashed a 3:24 PR at Stu’s 30k with a 2:26:35 finish. I asked him about his race, I really hope he doesn’t mind that I’m quoting his response (he does a better job of explaining it than I could hope to, I think we have another member of Glenn’s rapidly growing Greater Lowell Running Writers club).
“…it really wasn't about the time at all. I felt in control the entire race. I ran a negative split by over 2 minutes but most importantly I ran with a group of four other runners and absolutely loved every minute I was out there. To me, that is the essence of running. The time was just the icing on the cake…looking forward to another strong week of training.”
That’s how you run Angry. Please join me in congratulating Paul Kelly on his choice as Athlete of the week!
(I haven’t been able to locate any Stu’s pics yet, this is a file photo of Paul running the Rhody 5k)
Week Ending March 10 - Kara Haas
![]() |
| Kara floating over the finish at Hynes. |
If there's one thing we've all had enough of, it's ado. If there are two things we've all had enough of, it's ado and snow. Can't promise we won't have more snow, but without further ado I give you the Athlete of the Week for March 4-10.
To say the least, she's no stranger to winning races. One week after breaking the tape at the Claddagh Pub Four Miler in 24:25, she did it for the SIXTH time at the Hynes 5 Miler in 30:09. Good luck to anyone who wants to wrest that crown from her firm grip.
Please join me in congratulating Kara Molloy Haas on her selection as Athlete of the Week. I'm sure all of Angry Chicken Nation is pulling for a Wild Rover Series sweep, when the Frozen Shamrock 3 miler (delayed by that snow that we've all had enough of) runs on April 14th.
If it snows on April 14th, look for emails from Glenn and Dave Camire looking for Angry Chicken volunteers to shovel the course. At least it's the three miler of the 3-4-5 series, the show (and the sweep!) must go on.
Photo courtesy of Mike Stanwyck
Week Ending March 17 - Nicholas Kanaracus
![]() |
| Nick nailing that age group win. |
The team from the Mill City had a great day in the Whaling City, with so many remarkable performances and results that the AOW committee thought it would be nearly impossible to pick just one. But among those great performances in New Bedford by both chicks and chickens, one stood out from the rest. Only one Angry Chicken came home with first place in his or her age group.
If you've seen him working hard on the Rat Dome track, you know the result against the always strong USATFNE field was well earned and speaks for itself. Please join me in congratulating Nicholas Kanaracus on his selection as Athlete Of The Week for March 11-17.
Photo courtesy of Jimmy Lee Shelton



No comments:
Post a Comment