Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Runner’s Wife

Coco and Ashley preparing for Boston 2013

By Coco Sullivan

For every runner there is a spouse, significant other, love interest, or whatever you will call it that endures with you every training run, 5k, marathon training cycle, track workout, club meeting… the list goes on. We clean up the stinky, salty running clothes left on the bathroom floor, clean out the gu left in your pockets, step over the running shoes left by the door and pick up the lovely snotty mittens you left on the counter. We don’t complain because there really isn’t any point, you certainly cannot tell a runner to stop running. At least that’s what I’velearned in the past 5 years.
Youre right; sometimes I don’t listen when you go on about your mile repeats or pick-upsWaking up at 6am to drop you off at the top of Mt. Wachusett was EXACTLY how I wanted to spend my weekend. How did you know? Stumbling downstairsat 6am with my hair a mess and in PJ’s to 6 strangers in my kitchen decked out in running gear has become the norm…
Don’t forget the phone calls… “Can you pick me up? I got lost on my 20 mile run.” Like I have a choice? “Ok where should I pick you up?” “Just drive…you’ll see me.” Or when I have to pack an extra set of clothes because you are meeting me at the family BBQ so you can get in a few more miles in.
I kept my mouth shut when we I picked up your race bib for you. I never complained that you have more shoes than me ;) I’ve looked at enough marathon training plans to last me a lifetime. I’ve watched multiple marathons on TV with you andevery time I pretend like I know who that guy from Kenya is.You run in sub artic temps and never complain but when you get that little blister I listen to you complain for days. I endure the taper, although I dread it every year. You are so damn grumpy.I’ve never complained that every vacation is centered on a marathon even when you take me to grand places like a motel in Idaho...
I do this because I’ve been there on the dark days. I’ve seen yourface at mile 19 too many times. You know that one is full of disappointment and frustration that is trying to hold it together, just enough to say, I don’t have it in me today, I just don’t.I’ve watched that clock tick past your BQ at the finish line too many times with you just out of reachEvery second that goesby the heart sinks lower and lower.
I do this because I’ve been there on the good days. The ones where my heart is in my throat as you approach mile 19, and you look at me for a half a sec and I can tell. Today is the day, today is a really good day. I’ve hugged you at the finish line when you finally got the BQ, the PR, the sub 3 and the “holy shit my husband’s really fast Boston 2013” That feeling…It never gets old. I feel the same accomplishment you do and that’s why I do this. I want to see you do your best, to succeed, I want to see you that happy, EVERYDAY.
So runners... hug that person in your life and say thanks for being there… and thanks for putting up with my ugly feet. J

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being there for The Kid, and thanks for wrting this Coco. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete