Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Truly Grand, Grand Prix

Nick at the start of the Manchester City Marathon.
Photo Courtesy of Jimmy Shelton.
By Nicholas Kanaracus

It came down to the last race – the Manchester City Marathon – and would Chuck show up? Would Chuck finish?
I was locked in an ongoing racing challenge with Chuck Arnold of the Green Mountain Athletic Association for first-place bragging rights in the New England Grand Prix series. I had won the first three and he won the last three. So this was it.
At the Amherst 10 Miler I edged him out by seconds, catching him in the final mile. Then at the New Bedford Half Marathon I beat him by a whopping nine minutes. He wasn’t on my radar for a while after that. At the downhill Hollis 5K Chuck got a jump on me but I caught him again in the last half mile. The Grand Prix is scored by getting points for place-of-finish and after three races, I led by five points. Images of the winner’s jacket presented at the awards dinner were floating in my head.
Now for a bit of advice. Don’t do a hard speed session then drive 250 miles to a race and expect to do well. I had just finished an exhausting (but fun) week at a running camp in Craftsbury, Vermont, drove home on Friday night and then up early for the Saturday morning race.
I knew something wasn’t right when loosening up was not happening. I had a terrible race at the Carver 5 miler, losing four points in the standings. Now the racing was getting interesting. Maybe Chuck will miss a race. After all, he has to travel all the way from Burlington, Vermont. Come to find out, he didn’t make a solo trek each time, but travelled with the club motorcoach – they sent 40 to the New Bedford Half – and slept in a hotel the night before.
After many track sessions, I was ready for the Lone Gull 10K. I had a good race. Chuck had a better one, gaining 2 more points on me. Now he was ahead by one. Two weeks later the 30K. “I’ll run my own race,” I  said to myself. A lot can happen over a long distance. Maybe he will fade if he goes out too hard. Well, he did fade but not enough and I lost another point.
Finally, the marathon. Given the small number of runners in my age group, 65-69, I could not get enough points by just beating Chuck. He would have to miss the race or not finish, and I would have a chance. The rules award five points at a minimum even if only one person competes in the category. Chuck indeed showed up and the GMAA team was rested and ready, having stayed at the Radisson Hotel,100 yards from the starting line. Chuck blew me away.
For me, the Grand Prix series achieved its goal. It provided a platform for spirited competition. It added that spark that makes running a sport and not just an activity.  Special thanks to the GLRR for encouraging our participation in the series. I can’t wait for next year.

Final Grand Prix Standings for the 65-69 Age Group.



No comments:

Post a Comment