Friday, September 30, 2016

Furyous Chickens Attack Reach the Beach 2016


The Furyous Chickens made their Reach the Beach debut in September 2016.  The race covered 203 miles from Bretton Woods to Hampton Beach in New Hampshire.  The team of twelve (plus one driver) was made up of members of Greater Lowell and/or Tri Fury.  They were Matt Story, Jill Lohmeier, Emily Stover, Michele Martin, Mike Luebeck, Dave Connally, Scott Casper, Amanda Benoit, Jamie Hughson, Paula Canela, Manny Camara, Marli Piccolo, and Kristen Kelley.  Here is a glimpse of the the race through some of the runners eyes.

Matt - Leg 1
Stopped at exit 23 Dunks so 4 of us in Furyous Chickens Van 1 could sign up for Boston on our phones.  Still made it early enough to move our 2pm start up to 1pm.  Going in my mileage has been pretty low due to a sore left Achilles/ankle. 
Started out by the Bretton Woods main ski lifts.  After a little time on the access road, turned left on Crawford Ridge the right onto Range View.  Started to power hike as did everyone but the Dirigo guy in the lead.  Calves started burning early.  Needed more hill work.  At just after the 20 minute mark turned left onto Archie's Alley for the harrowing run down.  Had to stay on the brakes for fear of bailing.  Ended just under 27 minutes (10:45 pace, 918 ft. of gain) and with two new heel blisters.  Won't do that leg again.  Wouldn't have minded the climb if I was in better shape, but hated the way down.  Too much loose crap on the trail for those speeds.
 Emily - Leg 3
2pm: First leg went well and felt good. It was pretty cool to be out on the open road and get my first "kill". I had 1 hiccup where the signage wasn't clear so I backtracked a bit and added .25 of a mile, so I wasn't happy with that, but overall good start to the relay.
Mike - Leg 5
3.3 miles - Surrounded by mountains and occasional swimming holes, this leg was a quick mostly downhill 3.3 mile shakeout with perfect scenery.  I felt fresh, and while I was ready for more, I’d have to wait 8 hours or so for my next round.
Scott - Leg 7
This was my 5th Reach the Beach relay.  After running several RTB relays in both van #1 and van #2, I was back in my preferred van #2, I like van #2 for the eating schedule, and the running at night schedule.  My first leg of 7.3 miles was at 4:25 in the afternoon, with the sun quickly setting.  A relatively easy, slightly rolling leg.  Wasn’t much to this leg, I passed a few runners, and a few passed me.  The most notable part of this leg was the last mile through the woods.  Quiet and tranquil. It was a great way to start a fun weekend.
 Jamie - Leg 9
A little nervous because it was my first time doing RTB and starting out on my first leg knowing I would start out in the light and end in the dark. 
Amanda came in strong and passed off to me. I took off trying to keep everything under control for the 6.8 mile run and not go to fast.  Came out and did a 7:23 first mile which is too fast for me tried to slow it down and the second mile came out to 7:50 still looking to cut it down a little but feeling good.  The first hill came up and was small but felt it because of the first two miles were fast for me.  Completed the hill and moved on.  Came to a bill hill just as the darkness came in.  Started the climb and some speed demon past me like I was standing still.  I saw his lights go over the hill the top of the hill and I thought good I am almost there. Then I saw his lights going up again and keep going up. It was just a dip.  Mind games.  One stride at a time.  Kept it up and continued on,  got through the hills and then it was downhill into the town.  There was a church in the dark and out from the dark of the church came a creepy voice cheering me on.  A little extra came in the final half mile after that.  Came into transition feeling great.  6.8 miles down at 8:49 pace  1 kill
Manny - Leg 11
My first leg was at night with hardly any other runners around. Clear night with stars so bright. Some parts were pitch dark with only a runner's light ahead as a guide.  While in the van we got to experience an awesome sunrise at the top of this huge hill. 
Matt - Leg 13
Took the handoff from van 2 just before 10pm after a pasta dinner and couple hours laying awake in the field.  Started out fast and had to hold on when the hills hit.  Headlamp was annoying me the whole way, bouncing if I tilted it down to see the road or sliding back if I tilted it up.  Need to get a better one before I start Boston training.  7:01 pace for 4.6 miles with 164 ft. of gain.  Two net kills - +3 -1 on this one.  Should have had another, but no juice at the end to catch the guy once he heard me.
Emily - Leg 15
11:30pm: Though I'm very familiar with this part of the leg from having biked it a lot, I was very nervous to run it in the dark as it was prime area for wild life....oh, and hills! This was very lonely, there were no runners in sight until the last mile. I think running scared helped contribute to my pace! I was nailing it, felt good, temperature was AWESOME. The team was so great for support here, checking in to make sure I was okay. I kept trying to focus on the road, not the noises on each side of me. My headlamp was annoying, kept having to adjust it. The last check-in, I got a huge second wind and let the team know I was going to "EFF the hills!". Booyea.
Mike - Leg 17
 9.1 miles, plus 6.5 extra - At a time when I’m usually sound asleep, I had to mentally prepare myself to begin a 15 mile run at 12:30 in the morning. My leg was 9.1 miles, but I also ran Michele’s leg with her before to add 6.5 miles to get a good 15+ training run in. I didn’t know what I was in for, as I would face 4 GIANT grueling hills during about 2 hours of running through dark country roads, finishing up around 2:30am. Exhaustion would soon settle in. The top of the last big hill provided an ethereal experience – the view opened up and I could see miles into the darkened distance, with faded blue mountains appearing miles away, lit up by only the moonlight from above. Now that was cool.
Scott - Leg 19
My second leg was at 3:09am, and after only 2.5 hours sleep.  I knew from experience this was a hilly route.  If I wasn’t going up, I was going down.  Right out of transition I was passed by another runner, grrrr!  But, I didn’t let her get too far ahead.  I was focused on the bright blue light she was wearing on her leg, and I kept that in sight.  Nice easy 8:30 pace, until the first hill, then slowed to a 9:40 pace, then a 7:30 downhill, then another 8:30 easy mile, then a 9:40 uphill.  All the while keeping the blue light in sight.  I was hoping to catch it.  On the up hills, it got closer, but then it got a little further away on the downhills (yeah, I run well going uphill).  Two miles to go, could I catch the blue light?   A slight downhill, almost catching it, so close.  One mile now, all up hill, could I do it??? Nope, out of gas, and the blue light is getting further and further away.  Oh well.  Finished with a very slow 11:20 mile, nothing left for the uphill.  Time to hand of the baton and call it a night.
 Jamie - Leg 21
8.5 miles to go. Starting out in the dark.   Sent the van to meet me at mile 3 trying to break it down to small parts and have fluids.  About 2 miles there are signs to turn right.  It was pointing down a dirt path.  Well I went to find myself someone’s back yard.  Wrong turn I guess.  I came back out to the street and looked around as it was still dark out  went down the street a little bit and saw more signs and turned right there.  Now that I am back on the right track.  I hit a little hill thinking this is not bad.  At the top of that was the van waiting for me.  That was the start of the 3 hill torcher.  The first hill was long and steep.  On stride at a time.  Made it through that long hill to see the clearing and the Harvest moon.  Then I came to the second hill which seemed to be small after that first big hill.  And the third hill was even smaller but was a good work out.  When at the top of the third big hill the sun was rising on my left and the moon setting on my right.  That was a good site but still had several miles to go.  The good thing was it was all downhill from here and all the speed came in.  I felt it in my legs and just kept going with a little up hill before the transition area I heard someone coming behind me and I said not when I am this close and gave it everything to not let them by.  8.5 miles done 9:19 pace 1 kill


Matt - Leg 25
Jill and I had decided to split the wildcard legs at 6 and 5, right after a majority of the uphill.  Got the handoff just before 9am at Bear Brook after 3 hours laying awake in the field and a little breakfast.  Missed out on the tent city since I didn't know what I was doing and I lost the group on a mad dash to the porta potty.  Again I started out too fast since we had 4 teams right on our tail.  Lots of up in that first mile and I think that drained me for the rest.  Then I started getting mad at the downhills because I knew I'd have to just climb that again.  But I was regularly getting runners in my sights now and was able to start racking up kills.  They were the only thing keeping me going.  Earned an extra check-in from the van before 5 because I looked like crap.  I waved them on because at this point there were several kills in sight and I wanted to pad my stats.  I handed off at 5.66.  7:54 pace for this one with a sneaky 530 feet of gain.  10 kills, a van record that would quickly fall with the next leg.  Glad to be rid of that baton.
Emily - Leg 27
10:30am: was able to get at least a good solid 2 maybe 3 hours of sleep when we camped at Bear Brook, and that was soooo needed. I was nervous for the last leg because I didn't want to bonk, and didn't know how I'd feel after already running 2x, with another long leg and big hills to do again. Maintained composure...Took off, and was feeling good. It was kill time! This totally helped to push through. Flew through the first few miles, hill at mile 3 was rough, but eased into it and saved energy for the rest of the run. The scenery was beautiful-fields, farms, nice houses, and llamas! I took a moment to hoot n holler at them. Yehaw! The last mile was tough,  more hills, but so many kills! Pew pew pew. Kind of felt like an asshole passing walkers, but I gave words of encouragement to each. It was so nice to see the transition area and my team waiting on me :) what an awesome feeling to own all legs and be done!
Mike - Leg 29
By the time this leg had come, I had no idea how well I would run it, but I figured I could just crank out the 4.1 miles and finally be done. It had one decent uphill and then 2 miles or so downhill. My legs felt like a pile of bricks but I took whatever energy was left and picked people off one by one until I saw Dave waiting for the handoff for his last leg. Somehow pulled out a 6:10 pace for this leg, finished, and ate half a box of Cheeze-Its.

Scott - Leg 31
Bring on the morning, and mu vans first chance at a real bathroom and real food.  Stopping at Dunkin Donuts… coffee!!!  A few hours of rest and it’s time for my last leg, a two-point-four flat as a pancake run.  This time at 1:30pm, with the sun high in the sky all I need to do is go straight out for 2.4 miles.  Easy, right?  Well, after 15 miles, and 2.5 hours sleep, 2.4 miles is a very long long way. After running for 15-20 minutes I looked at my watch to get my pace and distance and realized I only ran a ½ mile.  What??? Oh boy, this is going to be fun!  Another 15-20 minutes later, and I heard my GPS watch beep for the first mile.  Running for close to what felt like an hour and I only made it a mile!  Only 1.4 miles to go.  At this pace, I’ll be done in another hour and half.  Wow it’s hot.  Hey look at that tree.  Mmmm bacon, do I have time to stop at this diner?  Oh look, another runner.  Do I look that tired?  How far now? 2 miles?  Sweet!  Only point-four miles to go.  Where the heck is that transition??  Yay, there it is!  A few hundred feet more.  There’s Amanda, I’m almost done!  Finally done!  Go Amanda!!!  Ok, let’s see how bad that was.  2.4 miles in 19:54 (8:18 pace), really??  I was running for 2 hours, well, I guess I did better than I thought.  Can’t wait for next year. 
Jamie - Leg 33
4.1 miles Got the transfer and off running through the town. Kept on the side walk and just keep moving.  This is where I started to rack up my kills.  It was flat and just kept the heavy legs moving.  The van was in a parking lot a long the way which gave me a good lift at about 2 miles in. I was mostly out of the sun and I did see some people crossing the street and wondered why.  A little bit up the road where the signs to cross the road.  I crossed and passed them all.  The last person to kill I said you must know the course.  He said yes just around the corner and under the highway and then there is transition.  I said sorry I have nothing else to say and was on my way because I saw the highway about a half mile ahead.  On I went and then into the parking lot of the office park and thought where is transition.  Finally got to it. 4.1 miles 8:23 pace. 13 kill  Feeling very good.
Manny - Leg 35
My last leg was Saturday afternoon with hundreds of others runners and spectators. It was fun trying to reach the number of kills my team mates had but gave it all I got knowing the beer was near.  Had an amazing experience in running RTB. The support and encouragement from my team mates was overwhelming. Together for 27 hours, with 2 hours of sleep but the adrenaline and fun was still going for all of us. Got to know friends and made new ones.
Jamie - Leg 36
Marli had an Achilles issue and I took the first 1.2 miles of the leg. I said I wanted to break 8 minute pace.  My legs were heavy.  Sucked it up and 7:45 pace 5 kills.
The team ended up finishing in an official time of 27:45:04. 63rd out of 475 finishing teams overall. 15th out of 158 in Open Mixed.  It was a great experience and we're all looking forward to next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment