By Jocelyn Thibeault
My involvement began last March when I read a post on FB .. March 23, 2015.
See pic of post and link to article.
After reading the article, or mid way thru, I wanted to help him, not really knowing what that entailed or meant.
To me, I read a story of a young man, a few years older than my own son, who had given ten years of his life helping others as a firefighter as young as 18, a police officer and was teaching at the fire fighter academy. He hiked, he ran.. He was active and loved the outdoors, only to find out his kidneys were failing and due to genetics, his siblings could not help. He needed to find a donor match outside his family...
What if this was my son? Would someone help and come forward? What was his mother going through? Would he have to live on dialysis, his would that change his life? I'm 59, have had a great life, I have ran many races.. Can I give him added years with the quality of life that he deserved ?
He was O- according to the article!
I'm O- , is that helpful? I didn't know.
Within two-three hours, I had contacted the reporter to see who to contact to try and help, who contacted Rob's mom for the information needed to contact Tufts Medical Center in Boston. After discussing with my wife, I submitted my name to be approved as a donor on March 25,2015.
Testing began in May with a cross matching with Rob, who I met at that time and we chatted about running and marathons.. Not that he has ever done any.. But I bragged a little as we marathoners do. Heehee...
A variety of testing was done thru 2015, X-rays, blood work, stress test, EKG, CT scan, etc. with each positive outcome, Rob and I had been texting back and forth with a fingers crossed, getting closer to an approval.
By October all testing was done and I was cleared to become a donor with December 8, 2015 as a date for transplant.
The Saturday before the surgery, we went to dinner, Rob & his sister Leigh and my wife Laurie and I..we chatted for hours and it was then I realized that he was not the guy the paper article said he was, he was better, he is a great man.
The surgery was a success without any complications for either of us. We chatted each day as we walked together doing laps around the nurses station and the corridors ... We shared our first meal together two days later from Panera Bread... We ordered take out and his buddy picked it up for us. We both needed real food ... I was home after three nights and Rob was home after four nights.
I was limited on exercise, but could walk.. My 1st outside walk was .32 and it took 28 minutes... I could not imagine waking a mile at that time, never mind running a mile. That was 12/15/15..
My walks became longer, then faster and by mid Jan I could begin running... At a slower pace.. As I built to 3 mile runs at a "decent pace" not fast... Boston became a potential reality. Doctors stated to listen to my body... I was tired often so if I didn't want to run, I didn't, if I felt good, I would. My goal was if I could do at least one 20+ long run, then I would give it a go.
I was able to return to work part time after 4 weeks, full time after 6 weeks and Rob returned to work full time by early March. We agreed that once back to work, we would run a race together. So in March we ran our first 5k together and then again in April.
The first was a 10:13 pace..
The second a 9:37... His PR for a 5K...
I loved pacing him to improve...
Having a qualified number couldn't just sit without hitting the starting line and running to finish. I wanted to get my 12th Boston medal & my 20th marathon finish since 2001.
So there it is...4:27:55... I'll take it.. Fastest recovery on the legs in a long time.
The way I see it now I have two sons. I am so glad to be have helped him, so thankful for the relationship that came out of it, that I didn't expect.
Joc
No comments:
Post a Comment