Friday, October 30, 2015

Germany/Austria trip & the Berlin Marathon


By Mike Luebeck
I haven't updated in a while, but this trip/marathon is definitely well worth the write-up. I'll focus more on the running component of the trip and what my training has been like post-Berlin. Hopefully this ends up providing a unique perspective on what it's like to run an international marathon, especially one this big (bigger than Boston, and noticeably so). After all, this is World Major #2 for me. Four more to go!
Let's start back in August for this one. I'm well into my 5th marathon training cycle at this point and starting to hit my peak weeks. The mileage piled on for the next six weeks and the heat started to take its toll. I reassured myself that I am more of a cold weather runner, and it showed as my pace slowed a bit as I trudged through the humid New England summer air that can best be described akin to wading through a pool full of hot jello. Actually, just try to picture that for a second. Yep. Anyways, it wasn't until September, and during my last few long runs, when everything started to feel like it was clicking. The last few weeks of training gave me a good mental boost heading into Berlin, even though the bulk of my training felt average overall.
We left for Germany on Wednesday, September 23rd, giving us three days of sightseeing and touring before race day, and a little time to adjust our sleep cycles by then to account for the 6 hour time jump. Sleep was important and it came easy after each full day of activities and pasta binging. Yes, here I am, in Germany, destroying plates full of pasta and bread at every meal – enough to allow the Italian economy to catch up (to the European-leading German economy, that is). I had to stick with what my body was used to digesting in the days before the marathon. No new exiting German cuisine that could throw my digestive system into a frenzy on race day. It was like being forced to drive a Fiat when I was surrounded by Beamers and Benzos. But that's just me – I know not everyone lives and dies by this training rule of thumb.
Saturday was a complete rest day, so I skipped out on touring the city even though I wanted to visit countless more landmarks, memorials, theological structures, and so forth. It was exciting enough to be in Germany, ready to run 26.2 miles through a city so incredibly saturated with history.
I found my way to my starting corral early Sunday, and mother nature cooperated with a cool, crisp, sunny morning. 40,000 other people were ready to cross the start line, and I zoned out, visualizing myself running an even pace throughout the race. The gun went off and I locked into a conservative pace – one somewhere between my BQ pace and that sub-3 hour pace. I was a realist that morning though, and remembered how tough training all summer had been, and that I had only really started to hit my goal training paces in early September. So I began conservatively and held onto consistent 5k splits for as long as I could. At most points during the race, there were 15 other runners right around me, so it was very tough to keep an even pace. Some people sped up, some slowed down. Some were silly enough to stop at water stations (keep moving!), causing others to break their stride and potentially pull a muscle. In addition to all the other runners, the entire course was absolutely loaded with spectators from start to finish, as the route toured through the city and passed countless landmarks along the way, each more exciting to run past than the last.
I felt really solid for the first 20 miles, and I think I was still on my BQ pace up until then. But I had started to slow down here and there – and I knew I was reaching my body's limit when for three miles in a row my pace dropped slightly and steadily, while the effort seemed to increase. When I first felt a cramp sneaking up on me, I did a 120-point self inspection. I focused on my form, straightened my arm swing, kept my head level, and most importantly, paid attention to my breathing. I could tell that my breathing became short and irregular, to the point where my ears started popping and my neck became very tense. If I didn't slow my breathing down with big, deep, evenly-structured breaths, then I probably wouldn't have finished the race.
With my breathing in check, I had three miles to go. My pace had gone steadily down from 7min/mile to 8min/mile, but at mile 23 I dug down pretty deep and held that 8 minute pace for the last 3 miles, while actually still enjoying the sights and sounds around me. The best thing I did at that point was not looking down at my watch. When your mental and physical resources are running low during a race, the last thing you want to do is start stressing over a couple of stupid numbers. So I picked off points in the distance and gave myself a mental high-five each time I passed something significant without checking my watch. This trick seemed to work, as my last three miles were evenly paced despite all of the previous signs of fatigue pointing at me in the wrong direction. I was able to run in stride through the Brandenburg Gate and past the lawn of the Reichstag to the finish line well enough to not look like the guy from that QWOP game on his first attempt at running 100 meters. Google the QWOP game and play it – you'll thank me.
Anyway, I'm glad I could finish the race on a good note. A sub-3 hour day was not in the cards for me, nor was a Boston qualifier, but I'm happy with the result. I finished in 3:12:50, only 5 minutes off my PR. Reflecting on this, I know my training was good, but not spectacular. The amount of traveling may have had its effects, but I'd like to think they were minimal at best. I think the biggest obstacle for me ended up being what eventually helped me get to the finish line – the crowds upon crowds of spectators. Big crowds are usually awesome to have in a race. But for this 26.2 miles, there was no room for respite. It was a love/hate thing. The cheering, the drums, the chanting – it picks you up when you need it. But for me, I also need some form of repose, some time to focus, some time to get in the zone and do my thing.
And so while running the Berlin marathon was one of the most exciting and inspiring things I'll ever do, I now come back with a fond appreciation for races of all shapes and sizes, from the ones in quiet suburbs to those in roaring cities, or from picturesque landscapes to streets lined with hard-edged architecture.
The rest of the trip took us through Berlin, to beautiful Salzburg, Austria, and then on to Oktoberfest in Munich, which was filled with amazing food (finally!), great beer (finally!), and tons and tons of walking, sightseeing, and taking billions of pictures of amazing architecture (and of course, naked statues). These stories might not make it to paper, so you'll have to ask me when you see me!
I am now focused on returning to my training and am already preparing for a few late fall races coming up. The first month coming back was slow and steady with the mileage, but now is when training gets fun again. I can see and feel all of the benefits from this past marathon cycle, and training for shorter distances is a good way to mentally shake things up – at least for a few months. Moving forward it's going to be more about quality miles while maintaining a good quantity. It should be interesting to see where this winter takes me. I have to give credit to the Greater Lowell Road Runners for all their support they provide throughout the year, along with everyone I've been training with. I look forward to another great year of running ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment